View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #50
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
They negotiate, pass laws, and those laws are subject to review by the Supreme Court to see if they are constitutional.I agree but I'm still trying to figure out the whole executive action/order thing. I'm prob. 99% against the Pres. having the right to impose something by executive action and it seems like it is one of those things when your guy is Pres, you like it and when the other guy is Pres. you don't like it.

"Isn't it ultimately up to the SC to decide if something is legal via the Constitution or not?"

Yes.

But the POTUS shouldn't do something that's blatantly unconstitutional, such as forcing people to abandon their religious beliefs to further one party's agenda.

I would imagine that all Presidents have done things that some folks feel are unconstitutional. Sometimes it's a judgement call, it's not always obvious. Maybe it's rarely obvious.
I think my response to this is a broad statment basically the same as above. If my guy is in, I prob. don't think an executive action/order is unconstitutional. If my guy isn't in, I prob. think it is unconstitutional.

Thanks and have a great 2016!