View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 08:08 AM   #234
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
It’s about weapon availability

The rest is window dressings designed to muddy the water
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
That's not all it is, and I can prove it. Here goes...we all have access to that weaponry, but 99.5% of us would never even think of hurting anyone, no matter how many weapons are available. A big part of this, is that more and more of us are slipping into that mental abyss, and that abyss is getting darker and scarier all the time as our collective moral compass gets more and more broken.

You are correct, if there were zero guns out there, presumably there'd be zero gun crime. Problem is, there is no remotely practical way to eliminate gun availability which (1) is constitutional, and (2) is realistic to implement. I agree it's time to try things that haven't been tried before, but I don't believe gun control will move the needle much. It's been tried so many times. It never accomplishes much. What will be different this time? I do think we have to try just so we can tell our kids we didn't choose to do nothing, but I have no reason to believe it will work. None.

If there were no guns, there'd be no gun violence. At the same time, if there were no sociopaths walking among us, we could all have machine guns but there'd be no gun violence.

There are 2 levers to pull here, gun availability and the culture/mental illness aspect of our society. Both parties are guilty of focusing on one side and completely ignoring the other.