View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
dannyplug1

Confused about sounder/ gps

I am in the process of purchasing a new sounder/ gps. I am considering purchasing a hoby or upgrading the sounder on my wilderness ride. I have used a cheap pirana. I am confused about the types of sounders some make a picture of the bottom and some make a traditional representation. I fish areas that are rock sand and mixed and fish no deeper than thirty to forty feet. I wonder which type would be better for that situation. I am considering color. I have been told that a color sounder will enable you to determine the composition of the bottom better than a black and white monitor. Is this true? Also in the pictures of the sounders on websites they show the monitor as being half gps and half depth sounder. In these models is this the only screen or can you have the whole screen as a gps or the whole screen as a depth sounder. I have been looking at lowarance and humming bird and keep getting more confused. What I really need is a reccomendation. I want to spend up to four hundred(could be stretched a little) I fish in shallow areas of rock sand and mixed bottoms. I want the gps to be able to get me home in fog and darkness to mark potential hot spots. I want to be able to mark places and courses that I get hits on while trolling eels and or tubes. I am very confused do you guys have any suggestions in regard to particular models or types. thanks charlie
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote