View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #29
JamesJet

Slight thread drift...sorry

Skip,

Your posts have me thinking that we really should all get together and "test" a few rods out on a nice warm weekend then all get lunch or something. Grab a bunch of bank sinkers and give it a try. Bottom line is none of the sticks mentioned (including the 1209s I pm'd you about) are bad. Everyone has a preference, a casting style and particular way of fishing. In reality unless you are really jigging moon tides mid turn, out in the middle, you wont ever need to throw 5+ all that often or ever. I myself would love to try some different setups guys have just for the sake of knowing. A couple things have come up but keep mind how you load a rod is based on mechanics that start with footing. Casting a rod off the beach is way different that a slimy canal perch. Also I don't care whether you didn't have back and neck issues, throwing and bouncing heavy jigs for tide gets to you after a while for anybody. From talking to you about loading a 1205, I think you probably need/liked the action on a mojo.
If anyone (you) wants to lets start a new thread on a rod testing day I am in!
Fishing for giants (which is what you are referring too with the the stopping power) is always always done more effectively with gear not used by many of us most days. Basically if your looking for an everyday jig rod it may not be the one you can land that tuna from the east end with next fall. Make your decision on what you actually need and if you want to overlay with a "special" rod go for it. Part of the learning curve about jigging big water is how to get a fish out of it. Its not all rod, its a fair amount of technique, because once a freight train gets going its tough to stop.

By the way, you must have taken some magic lessons "making 4 once disappear" just made me laugh.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote