View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #82
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
What does this have to do with the point that you quoted to respond to?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You said "That’s been his tactic with PPE and other preventative measures with Covid... 'Let the states handle it'

"Now that black people are involved in an activity associated with unrest, he all of a sudden wants to intervene in state business to look like a tough guy for his supporters

"You can have one or the other, but selectively applying your own rules is never a good idea when things are being recorded and reported live"

Perhaps I misunderstood you. It seemed to me that you were differentiating the two situations because one involved black people. Also, when you said Trump wanted to look like a tough guy for his supporters by intervening, I included black people as part of his supporters. He was gaining support from blacks that Republicans were usually not capable of doing, and I thought you might be saying that Trump was trying to look tough to those critical voters by sympathizing, using tough language, with their views on how the bad cop acted.

I can see how we look at it differently. I don't think Trump is a racist. I may be wrong, but I think you do believe he is a racist.

I didn't mention it, but I also disagree with what I took as your implication that because Trump claimed the states should handle some measures, PPE, etc., that "let the states handle it" meant they should handle everything. The pandemic plan created by the previous administrations indeed did put the responsibility for having stocks of various equipment, and that most of the responsibility for handling a pandemic was on the states. The Federal Government had some other tasks as well as backing up the states if they couldn't. So I didn't think that his view about that had anything to do with race.