View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Again you live in the fantasy that people can just can go to school and become an RN. or something else ... and not get paid while at school assume they have no bill's and live in moms basement ...its not a one size fit all answer thats the conservative mantra to excuse business from not paying better wages ..

FYI Currently my wife makes more than an entry level RN... but thats not the point

Basically Most private industry see their employee as a liability and a reduction in Profit is unacceptable and pay and benefits adversely effect Profit and shareholders
"Again you live in the fantasy "

I don't live in any kind of fantasy world.

"that people can just can go to school and become an RN. or something else ... and not get paid while at school assume they have no bill's and live in moms basement"

Not remotely what I said. Not even close. It is very, very important to have a plan, and put it into action, while you still can (maybe before you have kids, or before you buy a house). After a certain stage in life, your options can become limited. But options are rarely eliminated. There is part time school, night school, online courses.

My wife stayed home with our kids for 10 years. That involved a major change in our standard of living when she stopped working. Now she wants to go back to school and get her master's before she goes back to work. She will do that. We have to plan for that. And we have to sacrifice accordingly. For example, my kids have never been on a plane to go on vacation, we go camping.

I live in the real world. Where things are usually (not always) possible, if you are willing to make a plan and make sacrifices.

You are the one who seems to be living in some alternate universe where rich people have made it impossible for anyone else to get ahead.

Many people (even parents who work) can go to a community college, part time, to get their RN. It's possible that your current life circumstances make that impossible, and if so, I am truly sorry for that. In my experience, most people are perfectly capable of fitting that into their lifestyle, they just don't want to make the necessary sacrifices, because it's too hard. And that is a choice on their part, not something that was denied them.

"Most private industry see their employee as a liability "

Please support that with something other than the fact that they say it every night on MSNBC.

"a reduction in Profit is unacceptable and pay and benefits adversely effect Profit and shareholders"

Pay and benefits can have an adverse impact on financial results. But it's not as simple as you think it is, otherwise no one would pay more than minimum wage. Some companies have a self-interest in attracting the best talent, and companies need to pay for that. It is not always better for companies to decrease payroll.

There are a lot of people stuck in tough situations. I would be a maniac to deny that. And there are some companies that make plenty of money, but won't share any with employees. But there are also plenty of companies that treat employees well, even generously. You need to figure out how to become desirable to those companies. You seem to think those companies are very rare. I don't believe that's true. Not in the white collar world at least.

If what you say is true, why do you think shareholders tolerate CEO pay?