View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #245
FishermanTim

Here's a perennial smoking wake-up call.

My sister was diagnosed with throat cancer and had surgery just before Christmas. They told her that they think they got it all, but she will find out more in a couple of days.

If you are a smoker, the longer you keep at it, the greater the chances of possibly developing some form of cancer. If that isn't enough to get the ball rolling, also keep in mind that should you eventually develop cancer, it will consume you. Whether it's surgery, chemo or radiation treatment, your life will be focused on the cancer.
Then, if the worst is realized, and you develop an inoperable and untreatable strain, you will be forced to face you own demise.

That's not even considering what this whole event will do to your family.
We had to watch as my father succumbed to brain and lung cancer, and yet my three younger brothers, my oldest and youngest sisters all still continue to smoke. Now my oldest sister has to deal with her bout with cancer!

Sure, we've all seen and heard the "after-school special" style messages of the dangers of smoking, but how many of us actually heeded those warnings?

Another point of interest to be considered: Just because you smoke doesn't mean that you WILL develop lung cancer, just as using chewing tobacco doesn't guarantee mouth cancer, but think how your life will be forever changed if you had to have you larynx removed and couldn't talk, or had part of your jaw removed and could barely eat or speak?
We all grew up with the "cool smoking look" engraved in our lives, but the coolness disappears when you start losing body parts!

Sorry for the rant, but with my sister and now my younger sounding like my dad just before he was dignosed, it gets me pissed that they chose to give up control to the almighty niccotene.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote