View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
If I'm not happy with my town beaches, I don't expect the town to subsidize my private beach club membership.

Overall are more people using vouchers black or white?
" If I'm not happy with my town beaches, I don't expect the town to subsidize my private beach club membership."

I agree. But (1) the right for you to go to a beautiful beach is not as vital as the right for a kid to get a decent education, correct? we're not talking about your desire to enjoy a pristine beach, which is a luxury. we're talking about giving kids the tools they need to rise up out of poverty. If you don't think one of those things is more important to society than the other, I'd say you were a wee bit cold-hearted.

and (2) voucher programs work out great, financially. for the towns that participate. In the city of Hartford, the town (which is bankrupt) spends $18,000 per kid, per year. In a voucher program, the town may give the parents $7k or $8k to send their kids to a private school. The town keeps the difference. Thus, the town itself, usually makes out great, since it doesn't refund nearly as much to the voucher program as it would spend on that kid, if that kid stayed in public school. So do the kids. Only the teachers union, and the politicians the unions have bought, would object. In most cases, the towns save money for each kid they help shift to a private school.

The only reason for a teachers union to object, is selfish greed, pure and simple. Teachers like the monopoly the government gives them.