View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Dont know about other municipalities? But my wife is a teacher and in her city. They utilize to create super schools. They take all the high performing students from the most diverse zip codes and put them in one school. They then congratulate themselves on what a great job they did with these children. They then proceed to blame teachers from the underperforming schools for the lack of performance. They are handed kids with real adult problems with extremely difficult home lives and are expected to have them perform. They have parents who are drug addicted beat them and worse. My wife had a student one year who was burned with acid by her father because the mother tried to leave him. Fortunately that child overcame blindness partial hearing loss and untold psychological trauma and was awarded scholarships upon graduation. School choice vouchers do not provide a valid view of a society they allow school systems to shuffle based on performance and at times lack of.

I don't know what the solution is but it is a conundrum because at times you can have performing students underperform with environmental issues/distractions. But there is always the chance under performers will rise up to the level of a performing peer group.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device