View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
1) It cannot be won and hasn't been able to be won for a little while now. Victory by any reasonable definition other than political expediency ain't happening.
And why I put win in quotes. Our mission is to leave the place with some sort of stability, which appears now to be more of a political challenge than a military one. Regardless I'd think think everyone would still be focused on mission success however it's defined.

Quote:
2) Pretty sure everyone in New York and their friends and family didn't want the people harbored in AFG to pay them a visit a little over ten years ago.
The people protesting the burning had nothing to do with 9/11. While some like to mock the "hearts and minds" aspect to fighting an insurgency, it would appear as though the military strategists certainly find it important.

"Never Forget" is a slippery slope to self righteousness if left unchecked. The situation in Afghanistan today really needs to be managed from a forward looking position.

Quote:
3) It sounds like it was poorly handled but I have little sympathy when the detainees / Taliban use their holy places, Qurans, and various religious goods to further their effort.
Iran is an Islamic Republic. The issue at hand has nothing to do with the detainees, their own desecration of the Koran or Taliban hypocrisy. It's about how we manage the appearance of respect for the same people we're trying to help get in line so we can stage a controlled exit.

Quote:
Apologize to Obama? Really?
Sure. He inherited a pretty big challenge as President and decisions like this aren't helping him do his job. Same goes for others like Gingrich who has little more than the same leftist defeatism offered to Bush. I'm sure Karzai (as corrupt as he is) is probably head in hands going WTF people???

-spence