View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
If it does happen and it's a big story, it wouldn't surprise me if Obama publicly condemns the event. While this may seem odd it's probably the right thing to do.

-spence
If Obama publicly condemn it, isnt he
- violating the separation of church and state? its not of his business what goes on in a church unless its a federal crime.
- failing to uphold the constitution? Isnt it the constiutional right for this church to burn the koran? there are no laws against it.

This is interesting and as usual I view this differently than most. I'll use the same argument I used for the Muhammed cartoon. I watch South Park all the time. They routinely have Jesus on their and make fun of various religions. yet, you have no death threats, not massive boycotts, no public outrage. yet you have that when a newspaper has a cartoon pic of Muhammed. from who? Muslims.
If we are about treating people equally and their rights, why should/do we treat muslims differently? If this guys burns the korans he shows the world he has no respect for other religions and cultures. If Muslims react, they show the world they dont believe in others freedoms of expression and if they react violently, that they are barbaric people. Unfortunately this will only reinforce what western culture already thinks of them. As Spence said, interesting
Its our country, our laws, our freedom , we should do as we see fit.
Muslims may not like him burning it, but he has the right. NYC residents may not like a mosque near ground zero, but they have a right to build it. No one said this is easy.

Funny, the pilgrims settled in Boston to escape religious persecution, when the Quakers came in, they hanged some and drove others out for not practicing the same religion as them. Aint religion great?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all