View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Did you even read the article you posted? The article was written in June, about what "could" happen. How about what "did" happen?

GM is not going out of business. They are shutting down production of cars that people don't want. Tariffs did not shift consumer demand away from hybrids toward full batter-operated cars. Tariffs did not shift demand away from sedans to crossovers.

"Trump gives himself plenty of credit for anything good that happens, including much of which he had no hand in"

yes he does. He's an egomaniac. That doesn't mean that everything is his doing. Not all the good things, not all the bad things.

Pete, let's make this simple. If Trump's tariffs are responsible for people no longer wanting to buy the Chevy Impala, why didn't the tariffs curtail demand for the Silverado, which is GM's best-selling vehicle?

Please answer that question? Good luck!!
Nobody said they were going out of business. They made a business decision with the hopes that it would wake him up, I'm sure there were a number of factors involved. Don't forget he's going to meet with Xi Jinping shortly and I guarantee you GM wants this #^&#^&#^&#^& over with.
The tariffs have made long range forecasting in most multinational industries scary at best, how do you make plans a year out if you don't know costs, the impact on your pricing and what will happen to the market you are in.
I might do 10% or 50% or some other number, we'll see.........
Maybe we will grant you a waiver.......

Figure that into your plan and explain it to your shareholders when you guess wrong.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin