View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 04:27 PM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

FWW - I thought you used convetionals for eeling or are you pulling my leg a little ???

Seriously, if you use a conventional regularly, why wouldn't you consider it for eels. I know there are people that use spinners when eeling that normally would use conventional but I don't really give it mouch thought ( I don't think much).

I also don't bother with non-levelwinds, I'm more than happy to have a mechanical device laying the line down rather than with me worrying about it.

I tie direct leader to line but lately I've been using those tiny heavy duty spro swivels. They are smaller and slicker than the smallest knot I can make with 50# leader (I don't bother with putting glue on like some people & I haven't gotten around to using braids on conventionals). Those spros are less prone to picking up weeds than a big swivel or big knot.

So if you're using conv reels for other types of fishing but not for eels, give it a shot. There is no better way to let the bass pick up and run than with a conventional, and they are alot lighter than some spinning bait runner.

I'm just trying to figure out ways to get an extra 10-20 feet on an eel cast...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote