View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Be careful with private schools too (just because a school is public, doesn't mean it isn't high quality). I went to both public and private schools (before going to College) and can say that the public school gave a better overall education than the private one (maybe just by experience). It is all in what you put into it. I firmly believe it is the teacher (and parents), not the school that makes the difference.
Just like any business, there are good businesses and there are bad ones. People need to do their research to be sure the school is a good fit for their kids.

In a private school, bad teachers get fired (more precisely, their contract doesn't get renewed). I've done some freelance music instruction at a handful of schools, public and private, and have seen it. In a public school, bad teachers continue doing the minimum possible to keep their jobs, bitch and complain about the kids and the entire work environment is a "them vs. us" mentality - where "them" includes the town, superintendent, principal and the parents.

Teacher Unions have way too much leverage when it comes to the negotiation process. They bully the administrators to squeeze every penny out of them then cry poor mouth.