Thread: Texas Shooting
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #55
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And most of his assertions are wrong.

Call it the "Gun Show Loophole" or the "Private Seller Loophole" and you still have the same issue of unlicensed sellers and no background checks.
A small group of people, in some states (half?) that allow the private sale of firearms. If you buy firearms in order to sell and make a profit you need a FFL license - federal law. If you are selling a few guns at a gun show (think more like a flea market than your trunk show ; ) ) because you are clearing out some space - in some states - this is the private sale part. Many states like our do not allow it.

The short version is this is not where most guns are traded illegally - that is the gun version of your local drug dealer - let me know how that worked out.

Quote:
As we've discussed many times on this site, be it an Assault Rifle or Assault weapon the killing power comes from the similarity between the weapons rather than the differences...and the availability.
A nice AR is like a VS200 on a Lami 120-1M - it is a versatile, comfortable, tool that can have a "good enough" ability across multiple needs. It can do target shooting, hunting, plinking, to home defense, much like the surf combo can do the back beaches, breachways, canal, to rock hopping. Versatility. It just does it better (or more scarily to some people) because it is semi-automatic - a technology around for over 100 years.

Quote:
As to the homicides via handguns argument, just counting bodies doesn't factor in the damage done to society. Kids who don't feel safe in school aren't responding to a gang killing in a far away city.
Absolutely true. We are in agreement. No part of society has paid a higher price due to gun violence than the inner cities. It is also a shame that the political bigwigs have not felt that violence was enough to deserve attention before the school shootings.

Quote:
The 40% background check isn't necessarily wrong, it's just an out dated study. Regardless, I think we'd all agree that even 22% is still too high.
No - the 40% is wrong and has been for some time. If 22% is close to accurate now that would be a result of gun control. I would prefer no background check. I'm stable, I am not going to commit crimes. But I understand the need because of others. Now to be clear, 100% of all buyers of AR15 style rifles (that have not circumvented the system) have gone through a background check. EVERYONE. Sometimes the NICS check is done of the spot, other times it is done in conjunction with a harder to get permit. But you get a check.

Of course that would not impact the illegal trade in firearms.

Quote:
NRA campaign contributions aren't how they influence politics. It's about how they try to bias voters based on a wedge issue and threaten candidates who don't sell their message.
Said Every Union Shop Ever

Quote:
Citing a single buyback study from one US city as evidence the Australian buyback didn't work is pretty sloppy. The buyback was combined with other restrictions that dropped the incidents of mass shootings and homicides.
Ohhh - and not a crazy culture helps too

Quote:
His last point is really bizarre. So background checks won't be effective in reducing homicide because these guns aren't in the hands of their owners??? Isn't the point of background checks to increase traceability and impede the flow if illegal weapons?
No - the reason for background checks is to prevent / reduce access to guns from people that should not have them: fellons and people with M/H issues as well as to raise the minimium standards to get a firearm.

Background checks generally are applied to the people willing to go through the system legally. Wait til the Pot Smokers have gotten their dealers legalized, maybe they will move to the gun market next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
let's make a list of the "right's" that the left believes ARE absolute that don't appear in the Constitution
The Right that all people not only go along with what they say but must also believe with ferver and woke?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: