View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Rockfish9

I've been using electric trolling motors in the salt since the late 70's.. my first one was a Ted Willams... it's only been in the last 10 years or so that "salt water" versions were available/affordable...since the dawn of the 80's then I've been through a half dozen or so ( fresh water models)... mainly because bigger and more powewrfull ones were available.. I've only been using salt water versions for the last two years... prior to that.. they were mostly Minn Kotta fresh water models in the 40-50 lb thrust range... I use the electric more than the main engine... about 30 hours a week or so.. 5 months out of the year... if you keep line off of the prop.. grease and lube the swivel points and thumb screws touch up the paint in the fall they last a long time... mine never came off the boat once the went on... it was on the boat in the slip all summer and neve got taken off for the winter.. I never washed them or gave them any special care in season... most lasted 5 years or better... and I could have repaired them if I wanted to.... they mainly were just worn out..I rebuilt a 10 year old Minn kotta 50lb thrust fresh water vedrsion that i keep as a back up... new thumb screws, controller and paint has it looking and working like new... should my current( salt water version) one cease to run properly...it's sitting over the rafters waiting for duty.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote