View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #40
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The more we learn about this the worse it looks. How does a a mediocre student and lazy worker get promoted to Major? They arrested the Sudbury kid on less then they had on this guy. I know this wasn't terrorism, as I now have seen the light( thanks JD ), however if this guy slipped through the cracks, then how safe are we?
This, I agree with.

I know there will be a barrage after this but... There are many very intelligent, honorable people in the military. However, the 6 people from my graduating class that entered the military were the same people that got in trouble a lot at school, were in the bottom 50% of the class - then I know of at least 2 others that were kicked out of college and sent into the military by their parents. I'm not criticizing, just relaying the numbers from my class.

On the other hand, I know well over 10-20 people I went to college with that went on to be career Officers.

The current state of our military is extremely overstretched. That's not to say there shouldn't be some sort of vetting process, but recruiters are being pressured to bring in numbers or not get promoted - they're trying to fill as many boots as possible. There are bad apples in all fields, combine that with the stresses of combat and putting your life on the line for military people.