View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 05:40 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I hope what you imply, will happen. If the Muslims themselves can take care of the ISIS problem, that would be ideal. And if, after having done so, the Muslims begin to seriously reform militant jihadism out of their religion, and truly become a religion of peace, a tolerant religion which does not desire to forcibly impose itself on the rest of the world and which allows those in their midst to practice other religions, or other philosophical ways of life, and purge Sharia law of its oppressive dictatorial stuff, wow, what a wonderful world.

If, on the other hand, they don't reform, some other ISIS, or Al Qaida, or Muslim Brotherhood may just pop up again.
I think they need a vision. To date politics -- largely post Cold War politics -- have defined actions.

The Sunni/Shiia issue won't be settled, but at least I think there can be common ground, similar to how the West and Soviet Union worked to eliminate the Nazis.

Perhaps it's time for the Jordanians to rise and defend a more moderate form of Sunni Islam that can buffer what we see in the Arabian Peninsula and counter the ISIS radicals. With our backing others who are timid like the UAE may better support the mission.

ISIS days in Iraq are numbered, perhaps 6 months. If Jordan can help to cut them in half in the name of Islam you may see a real movement...