View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Night Shift

Last Minute Rainbow

Saturday morning, my wife (The Queen of the Merrimack) and I met The Dad Fisherman and Rockfish9 at the local bait dealer long before daylight before heading to a new prospect pond that Joe and I had scouted from the roads and maps a couple of weeks ago. The target was rainbow trout. ...BIG rainbow trout.

As we walked across the ice, hopes were high and the terrain looked perfect. ...lots of sand and plenty of boulder fields. I absolutely loved what I saw.

We set our gear in water ranging from 1 to 20 feet of water and waited. ...And waited. All morning and only one "drive-by" and four salmon eggs stolen out of a hole I decided not to use

Finally, early in the afternoon, Kevin got a flag and drew first blood with a nice pot bellied yellow perch which was released unharmed after a few pictures. Twenty minutes later it was Joe's turn. Another big yellow. Now, we were all hoping for a late day flurry to make up for the extremely slow day we were having so far. But unfortunately it was not to be.

Good friends, great food, and lots of laughs more than made up for a tough day of fishing.

And Kevin, not long after you left, as the shadows grew long and we were picking up our traps, I checked that chum one last time, as I did dozens of times throughout the day. They were gone!!! As I tossed more eggs into the hole, a trout around the 3 pound mark would rocket by and grab them before they could settle on the bottom in only 1.5 f.o.w.

I did hook it, I did fight it for quite a while, and my wife did take a picture of it. But I was not able to bring the kamikaze to hand.

I WILL BE BACK to the shallow pond with so much potential.
I saw all I needed to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2180205.jpg (103.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P2180206.jpg (179.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P2070196.jpg (203.5 KB, 32 views)
Night Shift is offline   Reply With Quote