View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #64
pbadad

Well it's a beautiful morn. Too nice to stay in the dungeon. What I have brewing besides my coffee in the shop this week is my redesigned Wadd style needle. About 5 yrs ago I made a few with a twist to the weighting style. Now mind you this is a little out of the box and somewhat time consuming. The results from what I seen and was told by users ,worth it to try again. The normal weighting consisted of 3 belly weights distributed 1 front and 2 rear . My design thought was to eliminate the belly drilling in which you need to drill 1/2" holes deep enough to accommodate 7-8 gram weights. Fill, sand etc. I took a chance to drill from the rear at a point 5/16 " below center w/a 17/64 bit to 1/8 " before hook hole and insert a 1/4 " lead rod 3" long weighing approx.24 grams. Glue in a birch dowel to plug hole and also drilled my hole hole. All measured from the nose mark. Put on lathe and turn. Dowel cut along with blank and tank tested drop and attitude. Swam it with desired results. A have a model od the blank with the distant markings and with hook hole drilled. I'll get a picture of the model blank up shortly.
I did paint some stubbys and primed the rest. Took 8 pike bodies which I had extra for emergencies through the summer and weighted and filled. I make a few extra of those for anyone in need after my building season is done. Once my lathe is converted back to turning baseball bats , plug turning isn't an option.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote