View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Geez Jim, I am a public sector retiree now and I pay 50 % of my premiums. Thats the same rate I paid before I retire. You only pay 30%, sign me up.
Swimmer, one person's experience does not make a trend, nor does it drive the train.

30% is right about the national average for private sector employees, and we don't get any coverage in retirement. Public unionized employees, on average, pay less than 10% of teh cost of their healthcare, and they stage riots every time increases are discussed.

I can't address specific individual situations. In the big picture, it is irrefutable that public sector benefits dwarf what's available in the private scetor, and it's also irrefutable that those benefits are having catastrophic financial impacts on those who get stuck with the bill.

Swimmer, how about answering a question? If public sector benefits are not insanely rich, where does all the debt come from? Most cities and states are facing catastrophic debt because the benefit programs don't have enough money. There are only 2 ways that happens...either taxes are unreasonably low, or the promised benefits are unreasonably rich. There isn't a 3rd option, so which is it?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-11-2011 at 01:11 PM..