View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #259
Diggin Jiggin

Nice work guys Just looking at the pile of blanks Chris posted makes me cringe a little. Thats a lot of wood.

I've been working on bottle plugs all week. Boy is there a lot to learn with them. I got the ones I based on the gibbs to float like the gibbs during the week, but couldn't get down to the ocean to swim them til yesterday. Wish I had done that before I finished shaping the first batch. They sure didnt swim like the gibbs. In the first pic I had experimented with different shapes and length lips, and different sharpness of the curve you see when you look at them from the top. I did eventually get all 6 to swim but had to tweak every one of them. The one that swam the best right off the bat, was the one I thought would swim the worst which is pretty funny. The batch was a little bigger than the gibbs and I added lead til they floated like teh gibbs but my lip (based on the gibbs) wasn't big enough to swim that much lead so ended up having to back down on the weight a little and that got them going pretty good (although I also reshaped a few of them). I feel like I still have a lot to learn about them.

I'm glad I did the smaller ones first and learned from that, that made the larger ones much easier. Bottles are definitely the most challenging plug I've made so far, way way harder than darters. I had a lot of problems making a stencil ala the mr pogie thread on bottles and an even a harder time trying to do the drum sander by hand following the pattern like he did. But I figured out a different way to get them where I didnt need to draw the pattern on them and still was able to keep them even. Definitely a plug you need to think thru and build jigs for... Its funny I thought of an easier way to do them after the first batch, but more work than it would be worth for the small runs of plugs I make.

Both of the larger ones swam good. I was really surprised by how little roll they have. It will be interesting to fish those in some hard current and see how they do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1470 (1).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	64072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	64073  
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote