View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
so if liz warren got suspended, that means there’s no bias? that's as stupid as me saying obama was potus, therefore there’s no such thing as racism.

to determine bias, you have to look at everything, not one persons experience.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Hey, call Fox if you think they are reporting fake news, I already know they do.

Actually, any search engine ‘bias’ is not down to conscious decisions by the search engine - it’s simply due to the way they all work.

They rank pages based on what real people find useful and what other, real websites link to. Their evil goal is to make money for their shareholders by showing the most useful results, thus increasing their market share and their ad revenues.

They use a math equation to rank the entire volume of content it has indexed, which is pretty much the entire world wide web. Math equations do not have political opinions.

There is no algorithm at Google or Bing that takes politics into account. If you see what you deem to be biased results, it is due to authoritative sites linking to websites which pushes them higher up search.

Authoritative websites are places like Universities (which tend to favour evidence-based research) and media organisations. Most of the rest of what puts a site at the top of a search engine is how users interact with it - do they find the result useful? This could show a bias because people have opinions - more people might click on one result that they agree with more than the other.

Autocomplete is not bias either. It is based on what people actually search - search engines do not just decide what goes in the autocomplete list arbitrarily.

So, in a sense search engines are unintentionally biased towards what the majority think, because this is what powers their results. There is no conspiracy, however

Now, if you think there is a demand for right-biased search engines, support one like Searchconservative.com , they derate anything that might be liberal, it will give you the answers you want to hear. They have one add or they are owned by Judicial Watch. Better send them money.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin