View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 03:32 PM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Because it is a violation of his oath of office, to ask a foreign government for assistance in his election"

You mean it's a violationwhen Trump did it, not when Obama did it.
No, not doing something is different than "do me a favor", it is legal. Bribery is not.

"I guess it would have been ok if instead of sending an official letter as members of Congress, they had asked Rudy to do it for them with the assistance of a couple hirelings of Russian Oligarchs "

Huh? Now you're saying what Trump did was wrong, because he didn't use official letterhead to make the request? Sure, that makes sense...You're talking absolute gibberish now.

No, I was being facetious. What Trump did "do me a favor" in return for aid was a violation of his oath of office. The Senators asking for aid to an official investigation of the US government was not.

"What evidence is there that Hunter Biden's hiring was in exchange for anything?"

So there's nothing to see, that Hunter got a very lucrative job on the board of a ukranian energy company. And he got that job not because his father was the Executive branch's point person in Ukraine, but because he was the most qualified for that job., based on getting kicked out of the Navy for drug use. And all the stories that the prosecutor was getting ready to look at this energy company are unfounded. They must be unfounded, because if it was legitimate, it would hurt the Bidens.

What is illegal about that? Unethical at best, but what law was broken? He doesn't have a wimpy CV prior to 2014.

After graduating from law school, Biden took a position at MBNA America, a major bank holding company which was also a major contributor to his father's political campaigns. By 1998, he had risen to the rank of executive vice president. From 1998 to 2001, he served in the United States Department of Commerce, focusing on ecommerce policy. Biden became a lobbyist in 2001, co-founding the firm of Oldaker, Biden & Belair. According to Adam Entous of The New Yorker, Biden and his father established a relationship in which "Biden wouldn't ask Hunter about his lobbying clients, and Hunter wouldn't tell his father about them." In 2006, Biden and his uncle, James Biden, attempted to buy Paradigm, a hedge-fund group, but the deal fell apart before completion. That same year, Biden was appointed by President George W. Bush to the board of directors of Amtrak; he was on the board of Amtrak from 2006 to 2009.

Later career, 2009–present
After his father was elected as vice president in 2008, Biden resigned from his position on the Amtrak board of directors and left his career as a lobbyist. Along with Christopher Heinz, stepson of John Kerry, and Devon Archer, Biden founded the investment firm Rosemont Seneca.

He also became an attorney with the law firm Boies Schiller Flexner LLP, and founded Eudora Global, a venture capital firm.

"Kelley told Trump that if he hired a yes-man, he would be impeached."

I love General Kelly.

"Things in Trumpland will crash fast"

You say so.

And let me take a wild guess. You predict that the IG report and Durhams report on the possible wrongdoings in the origins of the Russian probe, will be a nothingburger. The fact that Durham is a very accomplished prosecutor, and had this changed to a criminal probe, means nothing, that's just Trump being vindictive, it's not humanly possible that the Obama DOJ was acting as hired security for the Clinton campaign. You already know it's impossible, even though nothing in the investigations has been released. Do I have that right?
Now your Adderall is kicking in.
We will see what Durham finds won't we?
You certainly believe in a deep state plot.
Durham’s reputation as a professional prosecutor “known for his modesty and restraint” gives reason for hope that this criminal investigation isn’t a runaway, politically-motivated escapade.

Barr’s reputation as a shameless toady gives reason to suspect the opposite.

We simply don’t know which sensibility is driving the investigation.

We’ll know soon enough. But until then, it’s probably best not to read too much into this development.

Last edited by Pete F.; 10-29-2019 at 04:03 PM..

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin