Thread: H-Bomb
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #38
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I see.

So when Trump says "I condemn violence and bigotry on all sides", what you hear, is "I like Nazis".No, what I hear is what he said - read it. He was trying to put Nazis on equal footing with people who were marching against NAZIs.

Yes, he could have been very specific about calling them out separately from Antifa. He's a rotten speaker. And he may well have been wrong in his assumption that there were "fine" people mixed in.Go back and read what he said - everytime he called out a Nazi, he had to add something about antifa as if it killed him to call out a nazi.

If you look at everything he said, he clearly condemned the bigots, but was allowing for the possibility that there were non-bigots in the group.I would say if you think you are not a bigot and the person next to you is yelling something about Jews and is a self professed Nazi and you don't leave - you then are a bigot. He may have been 100% wrong in that assessment. But to conclude that he was "defending Nazis", is completely irrational. He was defending nazis' bc some in the crowd word MAGA hats - ie "they like me, therefore they are me and me can't be all bad so they can't be bad".

I can make a LONG list of character flaws that Trump has, and some are very ugly. Nazi sympathizer, isn't on the list, at least, not based on his comments from Charlottesville.
I read that Bannon pushed Pres Trump not to criticize the Alt right too strongly for fear of alienating Trump's core supports. What Bannon failed to recogonize is that the majority of Trump's supporters criticized the Alt right who participated in those marches and where horrified by Trump not criticizing the Nazis more. The thing I can't figure out is he likes "winners" so why isn't he calling for the removal of the statutes of a bunch of traitorous losers?

But back to the apologists - So aren't you being an apologist? Can't the same be said for anyone who posts on either side of a discussion in most threads?

Last edited by PaulS; 09-07-2017 at 07:24 AM..