View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Just saying...... Not that there isn't enough fodder to support a political site, but this is a fishing site......

Boat is still in front of the house.... Will splash at some point in the weekend, even in the rain. But might hit the rocks for an evening tide tomorrow night depending on how hard it is blowing.

In the past 24 hours it has been almost exclusively participation in the political forum. With SOL down for a day while they do a conversion, I would have to believe some of those guys would be taking a peek over here... But there is not much being posted for them to see. Your participation counts here......
I agree Ross... sadly for whatever reason some people have got overly sensitive about fish and fishing.. gone is the "help thy neighbor/newbie" mentality... I started a thread about a 60+ lb fish caught in early May in buzzards bay and the backlash was unbelievable. I was very angry at the responses I got... I love this site and have made some fantastic friends here..I don't like it when it gets ugly..most replies IMHO were very immature and showed an insecurity in their replies...and to be honest a general lack of knowledge on the subject... I've been fishing on my own for over 50 years..I have ( and still do on a small scale) commercially trap eels...I've owned and operated a gill netter...run lobster gear.. run a stick boat and have caught enough tuna on hand lines and rod and reel that my arms and back ache thinking about it...and oh yea I know a little about striped bass too...so like the Farmers commercial. I know a thing or two ... because I've seen a thing or two..
I don't visit the site here as much anymore because fishing related conservation always seems to turn to "spot burn" or some negative spin... I'm protective of my exact locations too. Being farther north we have even less quality fish than my fellow anglers to the south.. so when the big girls are in season...I cringe at some of the reports.. but they have been and always will be part of life.. we all need to act( myself included) like we've been there... but the Mention of a general area just is not worth an all out flame war in my eyes .. if we are visiting the site, it means we are not fishing and the site is/should be a way to keep us in touch with the hobby we all love so much..maybe it's just me.
I only frequent a few other sites. Both are much smaller but are suffering from lack of participation as well..

OK with that of my chest...

I'm at a new marina this year for the first time in 30 years and am loving life.
Merrimack river seems to have adopted every schoolie on the planet( so it seems)... fish from 10" to 26" seem to be everywhere.. tide doesn't matter as long as the water is moving... the inshore ocean is starting to clean up... last weekend the mud line extend out 5 miles.. ... effectively killing the inshore haddock spawning grounds.. mackerel were very hard to come by as well.. I took the 5 baits I had ( keeping them in the murky saltwater in my bait tank) and took them back to one of my favorite spring haunts a few miles up river ...they went belly up in the tea colored river water ( at high tide) in a mater of minutes.. the only customers were fish too small to eat the dead bait.
this week the water has warmed up( in the river.. 60... at high tide) and cleared up.. eels have started to run better. Partially due to the lessening of debris clogging the funnel. Mostly because the water temp has risen... I still haven't used an eel ..I fished Sunday night -Thursday night with a 10lb specimen the largest fish I saw all week... I caught hundreds of 26 - 30" fish all on 9" white or eel colored sluggos , needle fish and an eelie swimmer... I'm expecting some of those fish that were to the south to make it here for the new moon and hopefully displace some of these little guys.. the bloom is off the rose. All these little guy's are great for the future ..but... I want something a little larger.. the period of the 22nd - the 26th of June has for the last 30 years provide me with the biggest fish each season.. 13 of my 18 fish over 50 have come during that time slot. Most from the same "spot". I've planned vacation time accordingly..

Tight lines all
Roc

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote