View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 12:51 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklett View Post
they learned English real quick once they got here. .
Define "Real Quick" I doubt they learned it in a couple of weeks, I'm pretty sure it took a couple of years to learn it. and you have no idea how long that guy behind the counter has been here.....could have been here only a month

Quote:
The problem everyone(me included) has with the latest wave of immigrants is that they refuse to learn English at all
Thats not true....plenty of people come here and try and learn english....just because you run across the occasional A$$Hole that likes to hide behind the "No Comprende" Card does not mean that all of them aren't trying. I work with people that came here and after awhile they learned the language. It takes time....and patience

Quote:
It is a slap in the face to all that have come before them that had to conform or not make it..
There is a big difference between not learning it and not being able to make it.......and "Learn the language or get the 'F' out"

Quote:
There were no concessions made for them so why should we make them for these people?
So....Because people treated your relatives like crap back then why not return the favor now. Do you think your relatives might have appreciated some help instead of attitude. Did you ever try and help somebody who was struggling with the language to find the right word or did you roll your eyes and give them the "What are you doing here" look.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote