Thread: Ocean Kayak?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #22
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy50 View Post
I just bought a used 14' Mirrorcraft deep V with new trolling motor, new fish finder, good trailer, life jackets, seats, etc for half the cost of a new Hobie.

That's the disadvantage, IMHO.

I'm not familiar with the Trident, but Ocean Kayak are good boats. Lots of guys I've fished with had them and loved them. Make sure to keep plenty of money aside for the extras. They add up fast.

I second pool noodles. I put some rope through and tie it around the kayak, then just lift, tie it down front back and middle and you're good to go. Works great when we're using something other than my pickup, where it just sticks out the bed.

Yup they are $$$, but no way I'd take out a 14' deep V in the slop I take a Yak out in. (My wife continually reminds me could have gotten a small used boat for the same $$$, thanks for bringing that up).

Plus w/a tin boat you need a trailer, a vehicle big enough to tow it, registration, insurance, gas... and a ramp + parking. Really not an apples to apples comparison. In some cases the boat is the CLEAR WINNER, but not in all cases. It's about finding what fits your individual needs. And NO, I'm not a hobie cultists (well not really)

PS... hitting Cutty this year?

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote