View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 12:44 PM   #25
STEVE IN MASS

Quote:
Originally posted by pops02
but i also think it has to run its course
Um, exactly.......and that's why you should steer clear of the Alka Seltzer Plus, Nyquil, Robitussin, etc. All those "remedies" do is suppress the symptoms.

When you get a cold virus, you get all those symptoms because it is your body's natural way to rid itself of the virus. If you take the "medicines" to suppress those symtoms, yeah, they may make you feel better for a bit, but all they are really doing is working AGAINST your body's natural reaction, and thus the cold hangs on for days.

So, stay away from the cold medicines.....take some aspirin if you need to, and the Vitamin C, the zinc, and Vitamin E.....all of them help boost your body's immune defenses (you should take them everyday, anyways!). Also, drink a lot of water, until you start to float, and then drink a lot more.....and expect to piss a lot......it flushes your body.

Before you go to bed, make some tea with lemon and honey, and add a real good shot of your favorite alcoholic beverage (Brandy, whisky, scotch, vodka). Then, thickly slather your chest and throat with the Vicks Vap-o-rub, and put on a t-shirt and then a sweatshirt or two on top of that.

Get under the covers, and sweat like a pig for 6 hours. When you quit sweating, change your clothes and go back to bed.

The hot stuff (cayenne, etc.) also works to clear you a bit, and makes life bearable. And garlic, garlic, garlic.......but if you eat as much garlic as I do on a daily basis, you wouldn't have gotten the cold in the first place......

Also, avoid dairy products during the cold. Milk and such tends to thicken/coagulate the mucus, and then it doesn't expel as easily (remember, expelled mucus is the body ridding itself of the virus)

I haven't had a cold in over 3 years (knock on wood), and the last one I had lasted a day and a half by doing what I said above.

Good luck....
STEVE IN MASS is offline   Reply With Quote