View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
from Zimmy, constitutional scholar. WTF man, seriously?
you better not beyotch then when the real scholars deliver an opinion.

and BTW - this whole "settled law" thing, thats what the supreme court does for a living. They confirm or overturn settled law as a course of their daily business. aint no big f'in deal if they do. Anyone remember "seperate but equal" ? They overturned their own ruling.
Thank you. i appreciate your acknowledgement of my scholarship on the constitution . My post was a bit of baiting, but as far as they overturn settled law, they almost always reject even hearing cases of settled law, so to say it is no big deal is a stretch. I agree with the fact that Obama was way out of line commenting on it and I beleive it almost certainly results in a 5-4 to overturn it. It's human nature. I would certainly feel like stickin it to him if I were a justice.

The precedent goes back at least as far as US v SEU in 1944. The auto insurance and fire insurance are relevant because operation of a vehicle requires a license and the vehicle must be insured. US v SEU dealt with the same issue in fire insurance. In the health insurance case, the reasonable expectation is that everyone will use medical services. The impact of the uninsured on interstate commerce (medical services) is clear. Lack of insurance is a driving froce in the cost of health care commerce. Congress has the power to legislate interstate commerce.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.