View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #19
Jim in CT

paul-

yes, the market went up by a higher percentage under obama. because it has tanked before he got there. i give obama credit all the time for helping the economy, but it’s easier to grow the market by 15% year after a crash, than it is to do so after 8 years of significant growth. it’s like weight loss, if you need to lose 50 pounds, the first 5 are easier to lose than the last 5. i’m not trivializing what happened under obama.

you are desperately trying to avoid giving trump credit for
anything. i don’t think GDP growth is following the same trends as it did under
obama.

i claimed that trump helped the market. i still believe his policiesnhave helped the market. i can’t prove it obviously, but i’m very confident the market would be lower if not for his doing away with regulations and his tax cut. thatbthe market is down this year, doesn’t prove his policies failed, although it’s a safe bet his trade war hasn’t helped us yet.

i agree apple, which i own a lot of, is getting creamed, they say because of a sluggish chinese economy. part of that is probably because of the trade war, which i understand is hurting the chinese economy more than its hurting us, so hopefully that helps us get a good deal. but the chinese economy can’t grow like crazy forever, and not every hiccup they have is the fault of the sitting american president, is it? apple
has also failed
to gain much traction in india, and none of that is trumps fault.

the market is getting creamed the last 6 months, and part of that is absolutelybthe tariff and trade wars. now, allow
me to speculate, and it’s pure speculation. IF the trade war ends with very favorable terms to us, and IF as a result ifnthatbthe market and the economy do well, will you give him credit? or will you say that it’s because of the obama tailwinds he inherited.

i also loaded up more on apple yesterday, and i’m supremely confident that a few years from now, i will be very very glad for this dip.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device