View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #25
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Unfortunately the person I felt had the most promise didn't make it to the big show and what are my choices? On the one hand we have a women I don't trust and gives us business as usual, or a man I wouldn't trust alone with my sister, my girlfriend or my money. Two very bad choices IMHO and Election Day can't come soon enough for me.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I absolutely understand your dilemma. But one of the two is going to be President.

I don't think you have to worry about either of them being alone with your sister, or your girlfriend. As far as your money goes, neither of them personally needs it. One of them has promised to spend more of the nation's money than the other. But the President, alone, can't run up the nation's debt. It takes Congress to abet or instigate the squandering of our wealth.

It seems that Democrat Congress people and most Republican Congress types would prefer to run up that debt, if past performance is any indication. And a lot of the Repub Congress folks seem like they would rather "work" with Hillary than with Trump even though he has proposed very "conservative" cabinet members and SCOTUS Judges. Makes you wonder. It seems that, as has been their way, many Repubs would want to continue "business as usual" as you put it.

It seems that Trump is the outsider to the Washington establishment. And if that establishment in its current form fears the outsider, that is an indication that it wants to continue "business as usual."

My opinion, if it is of any help with your dilemma, is that being concerned with what our government, in principle, really is, would be more of a concern than the personality of the candidates. Ask yourself what you really and fundamentally want your Federal Government to be. And consider how every American, regardless of how different they may be from you, can equally be served by government as you define it. Consider how much power you want government to have in defining your life. Be real, don't submit to platitudes that sound nice. What is it that you most fundamentally want from government, what abides from day to day, year to year, generation to generation, not that which may or may not temporarily plug a hole in the dike but that which guarantees a dike that is impenetrable against a government that rules beyond the limits that you think are just and viable for the well being of all our people.

If you believe that government should be able to do whatever it wishes and even to define what our "rights" are in order to make our lives viable, happy, and free, then you could probably consider Hillary the better of a bad choice.

If you want the Federal Government to be limited to defined duties, and that you have "rights" beyond the reach of government, and you want to define your own life so long as it doesn't take away someone else's right to do so, you could most likely consider Trump as the preferable odious choice.

And if you want a change from business as usual, which is more likely to make that happen, the outsider or the insider?

I think, if past is prologue, that if Hillary is elected, things will progress as usual at an even faster rate. With Trump, that may or may not happen. But the foreboding is that there will be conflict between Trumpers and the status quo. And it would be difficult for the Republicans, if they hold Congress, to refuse his SCOTUS nominations, which may be our last hope of stopping business as usual from finally achieving government by, of, and for government, rather than government by, of and for the People.

Last edited by detbuch; 10-21-2016 at 12:10 AM..