View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Here you go Dave a story. Here are a few nice size bass caught on a couple trips that I will remember for a long time. 2 on a medium gibbs copy pencil and one nice one on a lido flaptail. I was too busy fishing to take any more pics those 2 days a week and a half apart in the afternoon hours. Same conditions strong SW wind and blue skies and all by myself. last trip was just this past Monday, kind of late for this area, but a strong east wind the previous days got me to think I may have a repeat of week before so I headed right to same spot immediately. BTW I struck out this morning in same spot and tide stage. I think it is over there this year. Yellow and white seems to be the color this year. The day I got them on the pencil I had 9 fish to the skiff and several drops during one of the best top water bites I have ever had. Went on for 40 minutes and funny thing is I was 1 cast from leaving that day as I had exhausted all my honey holes as I followed the tide out and was ready to give up. I anchored up in my last spot and threw spooks for a few cast and was ready to pack it in, just not feeling it. Figured I would try making a bigger commotion so I put on the pencil for the last couple cast, something I usually don't use in this area mostly Howdys, and first cast the plug was smashed 5 feet into the air as I saw the 30 lb class fish come out of the water. I could not believe it. Not one hit all day and now large fish were fighting over the plugs. All these fish were caught in about 5 feet of water and all the hits, including the multiple misses were spectacular. I lost 3 plugs that day from broken leaders and a few straightened hooks. 30 lb leaders and light tackle just did not cut the mustard with that size fish and a ripping current while anchored. Next time on Monday I had 50 lb. leaders and fared much better. Large fish on plugs in real shallow water has to be the most exhilarating fishing one can have and 2 trips I will not soon forget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flaptail bass1.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	61452   Click image for larger version

Name:	140.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	61453   Click image for larger version

Name:	flaptail bass2.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	61454  

Last edited by ProfessorM; 07-02-2015 at 06:33 PM..

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote