View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #51
scottw

MSNBC Analyst on Shooting: Media Has ‘Behaved Pretty Well,’ but not Conservatives

January 11, 2011 at 8:00am by Jonathon M. Seidl
On Tuesday morning’s “Morning Joe,“ MSNBC political analyst Mark Halperin summarized the recent response to the Arizona tragedy with the audacious claim that politicians and the media ”behaved pretty well.” But with one caveat: the “good behavior” can’t be extended to conservative commentators.

“I just want to single out one thing,” Halperin said. “I don’t want to over-generalize but I think the media and the politicians have behaved pretty well so far. The thing I’m most concerned about now is the anger on the right-wing commenatariat: on Fox, and George Will, and other conservatives are, in some cases justifiably upset at liberals. But they’re turning this right now, in the last 24 hours, back into the standard operating procedure of all of this is war and fodder for content, rather than trying to bring the country together.”

That caused host Joe Scarborough to do a double take: “Wait a second, Mark. I think they would say that you have that backwards. That a shooting was turned into fodder to attack conservatives.”

Halperin reached into the biblical analogy bag to respond. Conservatives, he said, just should have turned the other cheek: “They’re right. But rather than seizing on it and turning the other cheek, they are back at their war stations. And that’s not going to help us.”

this is war Mr. Halperin, your side launched the SCUD missiles and now you hide behind skirts and the Bible?....We understand that people like you are no different than the islamofacists who play by no moral or ethical rules and demand that your victims adhere to stringent guidelines as you continue to stoop to every form of dispicable attack....

NY TIMES EDITORS
It is facile and mistaken to attribute this particular madman’s act directly to Republicans or Tea Party members. But it is legitimate to hold Republicans and particularly their most virulent supporters in the media responsible for the gale of anger that has produced the vast majority of these threats, setting the nation on edge. Many on the right have exploited the arguments of division, reaping political power by demonizing immigrants, or welfare recipients, or bureaucrats. They seem to have persuaded many Americans that the government is not just misguided, but the enemy of the people.

there are two sides angry at government...those that are angry about what the government is doing to them and those that are angry about what the government isn't doing for them, clearly the Journalists and Editors at the paper of shame have decided that the rhetoric is only a problem from one side and apparently of these people have chosen to ingnore the evidence from people that say they knew this guy and have described him as pothead, left wing, anti-religeon and who know's what the shrine with the skull in his yard was all about but there isn't a single link to anything teaparty, conservative, rightwing, talk radio, Palin etc...still they persist and make it very clear that there is absolutely no debate with theses people...no shame, no consience, no integrity and no principles....

Obama fires up Democrats: 'I want you to argue with them and get in their face'THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Thursday, September 18th 2008, 9:50 AM

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said at a Philadelphia fundraiser Friday night.

Last edited by scottw; 01-11-2011 at 09:17 AM..