View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Eric Roach
Big E

Our Go-To Surf Rod/Reel Combos

In winters past I've let myself believe that I needed to build yet another rod for a "niche" fishing location/situation I encountered the previous season. The following season I'd look forward to using my new set-up in its intended environment...and then be disappointed by its limitations.

Despite the variety of surf outfits I have (or had), I invariably find myself reaching for the same one or two, no matter what.

My all-time, do-it-all surf rod is the GSB 1321M. It CASTS jigs under 1/2 ounce to metal over 4 ounces very well. It effectively LOBS big eels, the (old) 9" Storm shad, and herring chunks with 4oz pyramids. I've cast one over 160 yards with a VS275. I wade with it and swim with it. It's like my right arm.

Closely following is a set-up I use often due to it's versatility and exceptionally light weight: The old 11.5' Rainshadow 1386. Built with titanium lowriders and plate seat, and paired with a VS150, the outfit is insanely light and comfortable to use for extended periods. It has all the power it needs to get decent fish to hand quickly, though the 1321M is a better tool in really fast or rough water.

What are your favorite all-purpose surf outfits?
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote