Thread: Killing rats
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxpress View Post
Best way to get rid of rats is don't feed them. If you must keep your trash under there it needs to be in a sealed container. I had a bad rat problem in my back yard shed years ago. I had outdoor dogs and was keeping the dog food in that shed. The dog food bag was sitting out where the rats could get to it. I put out D-Con which killed off all the rats and started storing the dog food inside a steel garbage can. Problem solved.
Yes, first thing I did was make sure the garbage cans were good and now we keep the lids on when there's trash in there.

Also spent a lot of time covering holes to get into the dirt cellar...old house...not easy.

5 killed and then was all quiet for 3 weeks. Then noticed something worked it's way into literally the other side of the house where there was an opening. That's now sealed with multiple layers of 1/4" screen and spray foam.

One did get in and he's trying to get into the trash closet upstairs where we also keep the dog food. That entry is also sealed pretty well with multiple layers of screen. But it's a food source so he keeps trying.

There are three traps between there and the regular trash, it'll be dead soon.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote