Thread: sump pumps
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
Saltheart

I use a Little Giant , bronze submersible pump. 1st one lasted almost 30 years. Got the exact pump as a replacement even though it was much more $ than a newer designed plastic or cast iron one.

Pump has a diaphragm switch so it switches on when the water gets so deep. locating the depth of the pump in the hole you dig is critical. Too deep it will pump all the time , all year long. Mine is set to come on about 4 inches below where it will come into the cellar. it doesn't run at all in the dry weather but does in the spring and after a heavy stretch of rain.

Funny part is we had a problem for the first couple of years in this house. Then it went away for over 25 years. They then doubled the size of an industrial park on the other side of the highway but did not let any water drain in the direaction it was expanded. They sent it all our way and the water table came up so now I have to pump periodically.

Had I known they were doing it at the time , I would have protested the unnatural way they ran the runnoff but nobody knew until it was all finished and then you could do nothing.

Biggest problem is a power failure when the water table is high. Only happend 2 or 3 times in 45 years but when it does , its a pain in the butt. If I had a finished cellar i would have a battery and generator backup system but since my cellar is unfinished , I don't. I probably still should as I have to do a big cleanup of anything that will stay damp whenever it happens. cardboard boxes with stuff in them is the classic. the whole celler will dry out but the damned box bottoms will stay wet for 6 months and get moldy.

Last edited by Saltheart; 03-02-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote