View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
Mr. Sandman

I fish out that way fairly often. They will turn on and off on bars. I rarely drag the big ones you drag out east...they don't catch here for some reason. I prefer the smaller splash bars and daisy chains. If you can get close enough to breaking fish go with those ocean lures plugs or other jap style plugs designed for school tuna. A lot of guys here swear by the bigger "deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s" with the hooks and swivels swapped out for quality. I usually have so many things to cast at them i never get to try them all. Also, never give up on the old faithfuls...cedar plugs and the old style jap feathers. (I have caught a more fish on green jap feathers on days when they would not touch anything else than anything else)

They are sporadic, when then turn on they will hit most of the stuff you have on board. You have to pound them into submission and wait them out a lot of times.

One last thing, sometimes when they are UP and DOWN like that and they will not hit what you are dragging, pull in all that crap and pull up to the fish and stop the boat...then drop a butterfly jig

For trolling I have found the squid daisy chains seem to work the best followed buy the small and med spashbars. Best color....black. Also I have gotten them on a daisy chain of green machines.

I have never caught a fish any a rubber eel of any kind. I pretty much have given up with that stuff. I have dragged and casted them over a1000 miles without a hit. (seriously) I know they work for some but not for me. Tried them all. Everything has outfished them. Most of the fish I have heard that were caught on them were dead sticked, just laying still in the water still. If I ever catch one on a rubber eel you will hear about it on this website.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 06-26-2012 at 04:30 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote