Thread: NRA
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #226
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
More stuff about background checks:

As of 2010, federal law does not prohibit members of terrorist organizations from purchasing or possessing firearms or explosives.

Between February 2004 and February 2010, 1,225 firearm and three explosives background checks for people on terrorist watch lists were processed through the federal background check system. Of these, 91% of the firearm transactions and 100% of the explosives transactions were allowed

Under federal law, individuals who have been convicted of a felony offense that would typically prohibit them from possessing firearms can lawfully possess firearms if their civil rights are restored by the requisite government entities. As of 2002, 15 states automatically restore the firearm rights of convicts upon their release from prison or completion of parole, and 6 other states automatically restore the firearm rights of juvenile convicts upon their release from prison or completion of parole.

To undergo a background check, prospective gun buyers are required by federal regulations to present "photo-identification issued by a government entity." Using fake driver's licenses bearing fictitious names, investigators with the Government Accountability Office had a 100% success rate buying firearms in five states that met the minimum requirements of the federal background check system. A 2001 report of this investigation states that the federal background check system "does not positively identify purchasers of firearms," and thus, people using fake IDs are not flagged by the system

Now, I do agree with having a background check system. Not everyone should be allowed to own a gun. But I have an issue with the government telling me I cannot legally and lawfully own a certain gun / # of bullets / size of magazine because someone who should have never had a gun in the first place committed a hideous crime, which in many cases could have been prevented if the government did what they were supposed to do (both support and enforce the all the current laws and regulations)
Amen.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine