View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 04:52 AM   #4
Rmarsh

Joe, my new boss at "Jiffy Clean" was driving us to a job he had lined up with a big company at the industrial park, explaining that he would get me started cleaning but had to leave to go look at some other jobs.

Polaroid was a thriving company back then with a very large facility and thousands of good paying jobs. Besides the very large main building, there was a separate building Joe called the power plant. We went in, got visitor passes and Joe talked to the supervisor, who showed us to the burner room. On our way through the facility I was amazed how clean and bright everything was, with all the employees wearing hard hats, safety glasses, and white jumpsuits.
The control room looked like something from NASA, with a crew of union workers, going through their daily routine. They opened a sealed door for us that gives access to the area between the huge main boiler/furnace and a massive brick chimney. The job was to clean that area of all the ash and soot that had built up on the floor and walls over time.
Joe brought in the shovel, broom and barrels I would need to get started and quickly left.

I realize I'm just rambling here, a bit cathartic for me as I look back at my work history of nearly 50 years, and forward to retirement. Thanks for listening.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote