Thread: CASH FOR VOTES
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
It's not a lottery. It's not luck. Those born into wealth receive it as a result of the work and planning of their ancestors. That doctor who is making 500K/yr, if he has a family, is probably investing in various schemes and trusts that will, hopefully, secure his children. Perhaps the recipients born into this invested wealth should pay the same tax rate as those who receive a payroll check. But they shouldn't have that wealth confiscated or neutralized as some more radical "egalitarians" would like in order to "level the playing field." And it is probably not economically prudent to raise the tax rate on investments. That is, if we believe those investments are part of the working capital to start and fund business. And as for investment for bettering the lives of one's children--that is one of the greatest motivations for working beyond the subsistance level. Removing that desire to satisfy the conflicting desire to level outcomes would, in my opinion, create a stagnant, collapsing economy of a class of "workers" and entitlement owners who live for the moment and save and care for nothing more.

I would think that lowering rates for everyone rather than raising rates on some, and restricting government spending to "pay for it," would infuse the economy with motivation and growth.
May I add the philantropic programs that the wealthy have added to
our culture. Monies donated to hospitals and all kinds of charities. Rockefeler saved
l,000's of acres for Yellowstone and 10's of thousands of acres spanning
from New York City to the Adirondacks. Dupont has donated over 34,000
acres for conservation since 1994. On and on.

There are a lot of sour grapes and jealousies toward the rich that the Politcians
use to their advantage to divide. I have nothing against people who have aquired
wealth through hard work and sacrafices creating companies and jobs for
millions.
The people I have met with "old money" I've found are very gratious and
friendly, some of the "new money" people have attitude problems, but I still
don't resent them having earned their wealth.
River

" Choose Life "