View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
2na

Too familiar with this problem. A few years back I had a bunch of squirrels that learned that there was food in the kitchens of one of my apartment buildings, and they would tear through the screen to get in, trash the place, and tear through another one to get out. Metal screens too.

You do not have one squirrel up there, at least 2 and possibly pups – it’s that time of year. If you remove the parents the pups will eventually get hungry enough so that they’ll go looking for food, no matter how small they are, so keep the trap going for at least a week after your last catch. They (pups) may find their way into a wall, plumbing chase or vent duct if they can’t figure out how to get outside. I had some do that and come out in a 1st floor bathroom. Tenant was ‘impressed’. Time is of the essence for that reason (get’em before they drop the pups), and because Spence is right - they’ll chew it up, and poo everywhere.

Best bait is without question peanut butter. Have no heart traps are very good. You also will need a Rubbermaid type container, something that will hold water, large enough to hold the entire trap. Trap the squirrel, fill the container with water (I just left it full), and wash the squirrel. If you object to that, you’ve got a problem – it is my understanding that the law prohibits relocation of mammals in MA (attorney input please), but if that doesn’t offend you as much as washing them drive no less than 10 miles away before releasing them - they are part homing pigeon.

I washed about 30 in a week working 2 traps before the offenders had been removed from the gene pool.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.
2na is offline   Reply With Quote