View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And here is the issue. ALL politicians, regardless of idiology or party, play God in respect to trying to "fix" the system.

The Right - denies they're manipulating the system because it violates their beliefs, but they know it's necessary to keep the economy running so they have no choice.

The Left - goes out of their way to proclaim how they're manipulating the system for the good of us all, but they know that taken too far it's not sustainable in the end.

Hence reality, and a well functioning society is ultimately owned by the Middle. The irony is that the Middle has no real power or authority.

It's a Zegna 15milmil15 double breasted, peak lapel, Prince of Wales check. I took the photos for my mother who wanted to see some recent pictures of me. Funny though, I've never had the suit tailored and have been trying to sell it online. Retail is about $2700 and I scored a sweet deal. That being said I don't have enough opportunities aside from weddings and to really wear it. And like all of us, I could use the cash.

-spence
[B]THE [B] pre-requisite for the political class is some degree (for some, too much) of a lust for power. Not only does power corrupt . . . etc. it provides that opportunity to have a god-like control. Republicans, no less. But the right is now irrelevant. So talking about them would either be about revenge, or sour grapes, or maybe a fading afterglow. What we, in the middle, have at hand, is scary. The middle has had the power of the vote. But that is years away, and the middle seems to have tipped ever more to the left so the God-like power may not be checked by the vote for a while. Meanwhile, we in the middle have had an even GREATER power--the MARKET. It has been our diversity of desires and needs to which the Market responds and evolves that has made US Godlike (in a pantheistic way) in the evolutionary Capitalistic system which we have enjoyed. We have been the Titans whom the Olympians are about to defeat. Though, both the right and left may like to play God, at least the right prefers to do it in the Arena of Capitalism. At least more so than the left, though George Bush may have put a dent in that faith. Rahm Emanuel said that a crisis should not be wasted--use it to pass what the middle wouldn't let you do in better times. And its massive victory may have provided the left-wing thrust against capitalism a mighty blow. Mighty enough to capture that permanent 51% and growing populace who will be dependent on it. We in the middle may become, rather than the engine of evolutionary economic forces, a bound Prometheus waiting, hopefully, to be released.

Been a long time since I've had need of a suit. Like most fine things, I admire from a distance.