Thread: Environment
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I read that as well.
To say the Obama destroyed low-cost power in America is laughable and wasn't worthy of acknowledgement.

Obama: "Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket."

http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/14/pa...s-coal-plants/

Natural Gas (and fracking) is killing coal. That is a trend that predates Obama.
That is the market working (in spite of regulations). That would happen naturally, without federal regulation. And Trump's EO relaxes Obama's regulations on natural gas and fracking as well as on coal. So those industries can expand, hire more, and produce more energy, including electricity, and help to lower prices.

And technology making coal mining more efficient is a historical trend, not just a reaction to Obama regulations. And, even though tech advances reduce the need of manpower in existing plants, opening up federal lands to coal mining will require a new crop of jobs if there is still any life left in coal.

I don't know if any of this makes any difference, good or bad, but there are arguments both ways. I am not confident in saying any projection or prophecy is laughable. I am a skeptic when it comes to any prediction. But I do think that a free market produces better "economy" than a highly regulated one.