View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Johnny D -

"Catholics selectively follow the teachings of the Bible that best suit them. "

If you knew a bit more about the faith, you'd know that we follow the teachings that theologians believed were intended by Christ for us to follow. I guess I can't disgaree when you say we're "selective", but there's nothing sinister about which teachings we consider to be binding, and which we do not.

"How many "devout" Catholics do you know that have committed adultery?"

More than zero. But if the adulterer admits his sin and is truly sorry, he/she is forgiven. I don't know any "devout" Catholics who think that adultery is acceptable behavior for a Catholic. THAT'S what makes politicians like Biden and Pelosi so disgusting. They go on TV every day and support abortion. That's different from having an abortion, but then being repentent. Christ was the last perfect Catholic Johnny. Since him, we have all been flawed. We aren't expected to be perfect.

Catholicism sets out the rules. We all break them, to some extent, from time to time. I have missed Church, of course. But I know that I shouldn't miss, and confess my sin when I do. I don't deny that I'm supposed to go to Church. If I denied that I need to go to church, THAT would place my beliefs outside of what is allowable to a Catholic.

""Catholics are the epitome of the hypocritical slogan "do as I say, not as I do."

Who isn't guilty of that hypocrisy? I have driven my car while drunk.
The above is nothing more than a long-winded verification of everything I said in my last post.

Since you made the assumption that I know little of the faith... Church every Sunday for 12 years with my grandmother, been through years of teachings, read the Bible cover-to-cover and done a lot my own research. The teachings of the religion isn't the issue, it's the people that selectively follow it and then blindly hide behind religion and state "because the Bible says so" while they live a life that is anything but pure and sinless.

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone." is a very widely known and understood teaching of the Bible, yet ignored by most followers.

You call yourself a devout Catholic yet 90% of your posts on here are filled with hate and criticism of your fellow man.