View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #29
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you are an idiot...

Americans' Church Attendance Inches Up in 2010

WIKI
Church attendance in developed countries has gradually declined. Research has attributed this to lack of motivation, negative media coverage of religion and boredom during the services.
One study published in the Journal of the Scientific Study of Religion, however, argues that at least in America, church attendance since the 1990s has remained stable at 25%.[14] A Gallup poll found that church attendance among Protestants has remained stable at roughly 45% since 1955, while church attendance among Catholics has dropped from 75% to 45%, although it has remained stable since 1995, despite negative stories in the news.

Gallup International indicates that 41%[1] of American citizens report they regularly attend religious services, compared to 15% of French citizens, 10% of UK citizens,[2] and 7.5% of Australian citizens.[3]

The Pew Research Center has linked weekly church attendance with happiness.
While I do find you of all people calling someone an idiot amusing, I'll admit when I'm wrong - shouldn't have assumed parishes closing meant membership was down. Doing some digging: "The Roman Catholic Church continues to see its membership increase in the U.S., while most Protestant churches are shrinking, according to an annual report by the National Council of Churches."
Catholic church growing, Baptist and mainline Protestant numbers decline | Believe It or Not | a Chron.com blog

I guess the whole diddling little kids thing must be the reason for the financial issues then.