View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #18
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
It might sound counter intuitive to suggest a hook is too sharp, but I read a comment by a highly renowned builder in which he was somewhat cringing at the fact guys put ultra sharp hooks on wooden plugs. The comment suggested our custom wooden plugs are dying too young due to excessive hook rash and puncture damage from using hooks that are "too sharp."

In the past I always used mustads on my plugs and filed the points a bit to sharpen them. Never had an issue hooking or keeping fish hooked, even before the "super sharp" generation of fish hooks emerged.

Your thoughts???
they are only too sharp when they end up snagged in my anatomy.. other than that...I have no issues..in my experience, sharp hooks catch more fish than dull hooks.. the new Mustads are not worth the steel they make them out of..... the plugs seem to hold up pretty well with the epoxy.. definatly bettter than the days of spray bombs and not much else..... and when they are toast I retire them and make another.. no big deal... I have noticed/experienced the same thing that numby and the professor have... damn point embedded in the plug....that is most aggrivating..Kind of like and eel ball !

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote