View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #56
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Two points before I retreat back into Home School and Telework land.... >20 million (10's of millions ) of 'faithful' is reasonable.

1. Faithful does not mean religious, I am sure many are faithful (i.e. believe in a god without supporting a specific religion)

2. 65 million people voted against trump, 62 million for trump in 2016 total, 327 million total population, just for context.

There are 90-100 million Evangelicals (per google)
70 million Catholics
7.5 million Jews

So lets say 170 million total in these three categories.

If 60% of those voted, and 80% voted for Trump (likely lower for Jewish, and perhaps Catholic, as I saw an article where in 2020 only 35% were planning to vote for Trump and up to 54% were 'open to it') (170 *0.6 *0.2) = 20 million. That is not counting the faithful of other faiths and non-denominational.

If 50% of Catholics voted, and 60% voted for Trump (being conservative I think, might be lower), that is 14 million right there.....
i think as you stated, you were being generous with catholics for trump.

But when i say faithful, i don’t mean people who call themselves catholic but go to church 4 times a year and are pro choice. i mean religious people who take their faith and convictions seriously. a lot of people who identify as catholic, are very casual about it. evangelicals are usually more devout and serious.

this group, which i call “the faithful” because they actually try to stay faithful to that which they profess to believe, went big for trump. there’s no way that’s not true.

catholics and jews as a group, are likely to vote for a candidate whose policies are contrary to their faith ( today’s national democratic platform is totally incompatible with catholicism). evangelicals are a lot less likely to do so.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device