View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Oh spence, if it wasnt for those damn trees, someday you may see the forest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Do civilizations really only last 200 years and do they really always follow the same patten? That's a pretty good question to ask. Perhaps the facts are just being fit around the policy to create some intrigue.

While we certainly do have real issues in the US, I don't think we're headed for bondage any time soon. I work with manufacturing companies across many industries and see smart, hardworking Americans churning out innovations that make people's life better and drive our economy every day.
yes- but all innovations are a risky investment. How many will fail? Most, and what if they fail BIG? Will the govt step in an bail out the companies, the investors? Will we enact legislation to protect further investment in these innovations?
And for those that succeed? Well, of course it will be more profitable to manufacture these outside the US! Blame regulation, taxes and the unions for that.!

Pessimists may want to see things as America slipping but the reality is that other countries are just catching up...largely by doing what we've taught them to do. I'm not sure this is necessarily a terrible thing.

You are absolutely correct, they're not just catching up! They're beating us! The richest man in the world is Mexican! China and other 3rd world countries are cacthing up to our GDP. And once they're with us, how much will this impact the costs for natural resources. We see it with oil (China and India) but what about rubber, wood, steel, and other raw material. And then eventually FOOD????
Their kids will become more educated, more tech savy, more demading, wanting more and more just like us. But guess what? We've grown soft, our kids are dependant on the state. Their parents didnt work to help them through college, they got grants and free rides. They didnt need jobs, they got healtcare after college. They hung out and played Wii all day and did bong hits. While all the while other countries were moving forward. The US is too busy taking care of their own and eventually? Bondage.

-spence

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all