View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #74
wader-dad

I think that Dave is the George Ohr of plug makers.

George Ohr in the 1890s was known as the Mad Potter of Biloxi Missisippi. He was very eccentric and dressed in odd clothes and made strange and wierd pieces of pottery with glazes that were not like the other potters of the day. No two pots were alike. He had a shop full of pots but never sold any because he demanded $30 a pot when the going price was 50 cents. He thought his pots were priceless and even sent some to the Smithsonian Museum but they sent them back. Discouraged he packed all of this pots in wooden crates and stopped and never made another piece.

In 1968, an art dealers car broke down in Beloxi and he took it to a gas station that happened to be owned by 2 grandsons of George Ohr. While waiting to get his car fixed the Art Dealer saw a strange tortured looking piece of pottery on a shelf and asked if there were any more like those around. The grandson said yes there were thousands of pots in crates in the shed out in the back and so the pots were discovered.

George Ohr is now considered the genius father of modern art ceramics. One of his pots sold for $80,000, there is a George Ohr museum and they are now in the Smithsonian.

So Dave made plugs that no two are alike and kept all of his plugs in a shed and did not want to sell any and he is kind of Mad and his plugs run the range from crude to genius some with bizzare glazes. And they catch bass.

All of his plugs are interesting to me. Some are unique. I think he put a piece of wood on a lathe and just turned plugs based on whatever came over him.

So is Dave George Ohr? Its the Twilight Zone. Next stop Beloxi.

Maybe I am the crazy one.

Last edited by wader-dad; 03-30-2014 at 10:43 PM..
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote